Saturday, December 29, 2007

Once Again, I'm a Winner...

Just got the most astounding email. I've been selected as one of five winners of the UK National Lottery Sweepstakes' International. As a winner, I am guaranteed a million pounds. They don't say what the million pounds will be of, but one has to assume something good, no? And even if it were a million pounds of scrap metal, well, I could sell that.

Speaking of scrap metal, anyone remember the TV series with Andy Griffith where he owned a junk yard and constructed a spaceship out of odds and ends? And the thing actually worked. I think Jim Nabors was his co-pilot.

And speaking of Jim Nabors, I bought a vinyl record where he sings Christmas carols at the Goodwill recently. I had forgotten that he had a real set of pipes on him.

Speaking of vinyl records, I also bought Fritz Reiner conducting Bela Bartok. You can't go too far wrong paying only a dollar for vinyl though I'm not yet a fan of Bartok. I know what you're thinking: "Closed minded prig! Bartok is one of the greats of the 20th century, and you are a little, little man!" You're probably right.

But speaking of Fritz Reiner, do I recall correctly if I say he was Leonaard Bernstein's teacher and one day a disgruntled student came looking for the maestro, gun in hand and both Reiner and Bernstein hid under the teacher's desk?

And finally, speaking of death and classical music, was it serial composers that killed classical music? Or is it the fact that melody was relegated to the back burner so that with the exception of a very, very few compositions since 1950 nothing is hummable anymore?

Of course, I could keep this up with a comment about serial killers, but I'm thinking no one's reading at this point.

2 Comments:

Blogger Graham Powell said...

That show was called SALVAGE and, to my younger eyes, was pretty good. The pilot was (IIRC) the guy from AIRPLANE! I only saw the pilot (heh) episode plus a couple of others. So I pretty much saw the whole series.

I have been told that right now there is some really great classical music being made, but you couldn't prove it by me, as I think of "classical" as Elvis and the Beatles.

December 29, 2007 8:54 AM  
Blogger Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Yes! Salvage. Maybe it was Salvage One. When was that on,
'79? '80? I watched every episode, which says a lot about my taste in entertainment as an 11 or 12 year-old (though, to be honest, it hasn't changed all that much over the years).

My wife doesn't remember that one or the show where Mark Harmon was part of a rescue squad. I don't recall that show's name.

December 30, 2007 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home