Saturday, August 05, 2006

The River Market Murders – Kevin Prufer

First off, this is the first AHMM story I’ve read with the F*** word in it. Twice. The times, they are achanging. That aside, the story is a winner. This is in the September 2006 issue.

The plural “murders” in the title will tell you this is a serial killer story, but there’s a heck of a lot more going on than just that. First, there is a tortured detective, and I really get the sense of torture, it’s not tacked on. That’s hard to do in a short story that is concerned with other things as well. I mean, a real sense of torture takes time and space to build. Or an amazing amount of skill as Prufer has poured out here.

But then, there is also secondary plot line that turns the story into something more noir than the usual serial killer story. I can’t say much about that or I’ll give things away. Anyway, the atmosphere is perfect here, the characters believably drawn. I’ll read more Prufer when it’s offered.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

You may already know this, but Kevin Prufer is also one hell of a poet. He has three published collections under his belt, and has edited books and literary journals.

August 05, 2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I didn't know, but it certainly doesn't surprise me. His prose was very polished.

August 05, 2006 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home