Friday, August 11, 2006

Dollars and Sense by Daniel Hatadi

Daniel Hatadi's entry into the latest issue of SHOTS marks, if I understand correctly, the first of what will likely be many short story publications. The reason I say this is as follows: I liked his story. Not just the man himself - he's a nice enough 'bloke'. But the story had me thinking one thing and it gave me something unexpected. The basic premise is that two friends plan a heist. The title quickly tells you one flaw their plan has, but there is much, much more that can go wrong and in the end, I have to admit, I didn't see it coming.

The prose smoothly propels you to the ending and the characters are engaging. Nice work.

I do have to say, however, though the main characters came through as completely real to me (a big plus in so short a space) the story is written in Austrailian so that you have to keep in mind south of the Equator sensibilities about weather. Thirty degrees centigrade is hot.* And if it's hot, then it must be what we in America call 'Winter'.


* (30x1.8)+32=86 farenheit

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

Thanks for the review, Steven. I'm looking forward to getting off my arse and reading all the other stories up there. Then there's Demolition, and ThugLit, and ...

I probably should have put 40 degrees, but it's true that the high thirties combined with humidity can get pretty damned uncomfortable.

August 13, 2006 8:01 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Daniel,
always go for over the top if there's an opportunity.

August 14, 2006 4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home