Friday, March 17, 2006

Short Stuff

So far, this year has been very good to me on the article and short story front. I've had five stories accepted by places like SHOTS, CrimeSpree, and Demolition. Very exciting stuff. I also have four non-fiction (review/article) works coming out this year. I've also been invited to add to two anthologies (details when it's kosher to talk). This has all gone well and it's early yet in the year. Perhaps I'll publish more short stuff before the year is over.

Only one of these magazines will pay me actual cash. But I am richly rewarded in honor and glory. No joke. I am truly honored when knowledgeable people select my stories out of a pile of submissions and think they are worthy. I am honored that the editors trust me with their readership.

Bryon Quertermous asked recently how writers are doing on the sales front. I'll ask a different question: besides the potential money (always nice and an appropriate motive for a writer) what other reasons do you write short stories for?

1 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

I write shorts for three reasons: exposure, education, and experimentation. But they can be a lot of work. Creating a character and a world just to throw it all away after a few thousand words can be time consuming. Then again, with a short you don't have too much time to flesh things out, so you can leave out a lot of that detail.

March 19, 2006 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home